Nowadays, the majority of business organizations are using cloud technology to run their applications and store data. It is not only cost-effective but scalable as well.
Studies show that the cloud platform is safe and secure as it stores data in remote locations. Even if they lose the original data as well as backup data, it will be still safe with cloud computing.
However, there are many organizations that are skeptical about cloud technology. Even though they use this technology, they take extra safety and security precautions to secure the data on the cloud.
If you are planning to adopt cloud technology for your business, we can help ease your security concerns. We are going to discuss cloud network security, its challenges, and its benefits.
What is Cloud Computing?
In order to understand cloud security, you need to know what exactly cloud or cloud computing is. The term “cloud” has become very popular these days. But do you know what it really means?
In simple words, cloud computing means running workloads over the internet on hosted service. It means you can store data and use it along with the programs remotely over the internet. Here, instead of using your own computer’s hardware, you opt for hosted services.
There is a third-party provider who provides internet services to you. Amazon Web Service and Microsoft Azure are some of the most popular public cloud services you can use.
What is Cloud Network Security?
Now that you know what cloud computing is, you can easily understand cloud network security. People mostly refer to it as cloud security.
It is the security procedures and technology designed to safeguard and protect the cloud platform and the data stored online from internal as well as external threats.
In simple words, it is the procedure that keeps the data stored online on the cloud, safe and secure from problems like, data loss, theft, and leakage.
As we know, data is the most important thing. Often times, when people use cloud technology to remotely access the data, hackers become aware of it. They try to infiltrate the system to get their hands on the data. However, cloud security prevents it from ensuring the data is safe.
Companies have to protect cloud infrastructure, online data, and applications. Cloud security is a broad term that includes,
- Access Control Security
- Data Center Security
- Threat Detection
- Threat Prevention
- Threat Mitigation
- Cloud Security Policy
- Legal Compliance
The cloud service provider, as well as the business organizations, should equally implement cloud security policies, rules, controls and procedures to keep cloud platforms and data safe and secure.
Cloud Security Challenges:
There are different types of cloud computing services. The most common type is public cloud services. Here third-party service provider takes care of the cloud platform, which makes it quite vulnerable. Here are some of the cloud security challenges that come up when you use public cloud services.
- Visibility: As a third-party provides cloud services, the IT personnel cannot directly check the data. If someone uses the service from some other place or some other device, IT cannot look into it.
- Control: There is no presence of physical infrastructure in cloud services. Because of this IT team has no control over the data. By default, the organizations have limited control over the data.
- Compliance: When you use cloud services, you need to make sure it is compliant with policies, rules, and regulation. Compliance becomes more complicated with the cloud.
- Access Control Issues: There is no direct control over access in the cloud. Anybody with privileged access can easily cross over security controls.
- Internal Threats: Anybody who works inside the company can access the data and software. They can easily breach security when using cloud services.
- Misconfiguration: The configuration problem of IaaS often causes a breach in the cloud network. This is another security challenge in cloud computing.
How to Manage Cloud Network Security?
Contrary to all the challenges cloud services are safe and effective as cloud service provides take various measures to make sure the platform is secure. Here are some methods they use to protect data on the cloud.
- Access Controls: Employees can only get access as per their job type and job role. There are access restrictions that prevent threat and data loss.
- Firewalls: The service providers use a firewall to protect the platform. They make sure the network is secure for all to use. It also secures the application traffic.
- Data Security: They use VPNs as well as mask the network to promote security. All the data is encrypted, which increases data security.
- Threat Intelligence: This feature helps to identify the threat. It ranks the threat so that the actions can be taken on time.
- Data Masking: This protocol masks important data so that nobody can misuse it. It masks the name as well as other crucial information.
- Disaster Recovery: Even if your data is lost or stolen, this feature helps to retrieve it. The data is stored in remote locations to make sure it is secure.
Why is Cloud Network Security Important?
If you are using cloud computing services, it is imperative to use cloud network security as well. Even though the cloud platform is safe, you can never be too sure. To be on the safer side and to protect your data while still reaping the benefits of cloud services, you need cloud security.
- Cost-Effective: Cloud services are cost-effective. You don’t need to invest in hardware and storage. You can simply use cloud services to store data. It not only save your money but helps to keep the data safe by implementing new security features.
- Centralized Security: With cloud security, you will have centralized security. You don’t need to worry about the security of different software or different ventures. With one centralized platform, you will have centralized security.
- Reduced Admin Work: There is no need to manually configure the security of the system when using cloud security. There will be less administrative work as everything will be done on the cloud.
- Reliable: Cloud security is reliable. If you are using the services of a reputable provider, you can rely on their security solutions to keep your data safe.
- Prevent Data Loss: When you use cloud security, there are no malware or ransomware breaches. It prevents various cyberattacks from preventing data loss.
- Threat Protection: Cloud security also helps you again internal and external threats. Your company will be safe against all types of threats.
These are the benefits of using cloud network security for your business. Cloud computing has many benefits, but you need to make sure the platform is safe. Cloud security is a shared responsibility between the user as well as the provider.